Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

manoj.sharma99765_192577 avatar image
manoj.sharma99765_192577 asked ·

How do I change the IP configuration after cloning a cluster?

I have 2 node cluster seed and solr which i used to clone and create new 2 node cluster. on new cluster i have done below changes replaced old seed ip with new one and solr ip to new ip in all configuration file and topology configuration file but my new cluster is still gossiping with old ips and due to that new cluster node gets connected to old cluster . as per logs its due to gossiping as cluster trying to gossip old ip instead of ip mention in configuration is there any thing i need to change or any gossip quarantine related things here?

configuration
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

The underlying issue is that you cloned the servers including the configuration. This isn't the correct way of cloning an existing cluster.

Since the new nodes had the same cluster_name and seeds list, the cloned nodes joined the existing cluster. You will need to decommission the cloned nodes or it would cause a lot of issues for your existing cluster.

The correct way of cloning a cluster is:

1. Build a new cluster from scratch with a completely different cluster_name and seeds list.
  2. Copy the schema of the application keyspaces only to the new cluster.
  3. Take a snapshot of the application keyspaces on the source cluster.
  4. Restore each application table to the new cluster.

For what it's worth, I've provided detailed steps for migrating application tables to a new cluster in question #4477. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.