Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

KRISHNAVENI avatar image
KRISHNAVENI asked ·

How do I configure SocketOptions after upgrading from Java driver 3.6.0 to 4.6.1?

We had customized Socket level configs as follows in 3.6.0:

SocketOptions socketOptions = new SocketOptions();
socketOptions .setReadTimeoutMillis(123456);
socketOptions .setConnectTimeoutMillis(123456);

But I am not able to find how to configure the same in 4.6.1?

java driver
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

The Java driver was completely refactored in 4.0 and newer releases are not binary-compatible with earlier versions such as 3.6.0.

To configure the driver in version 4.6.1, you need to set the options via a configuration file (recommended). For example, to set the client timeout:

datastax-java-driver {
  basic.request {
    timeout = 2 seconds
  }
}

If you don't want to use the recommended configuration file, it is also possible to override the options programmatically by implementing DriverConfig, DriverExecutionProfile and DriverConfigLoader. See the Configuration section of the Java driver docs for details.

I would also recommend you familiarise yourself with the Java driver Upgrade Guide which has detailed instructions on how to migrate your application to the new version. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thank you. Isn't basic.request.timeout for both write and read. But my requirement is to set only read timeout. How can I configure only read timeout?

0 Likes 0 ·

They're the same timeout from the driver's perspective.

If you haven't seen it already, the reference configuration in the document I linked explains the timeouts in a bit more detail. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·