Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

jtdelato avatar image
jtdelato asked Erick Ramirez commented

Problem loading CSV to Astra using DSBulk

I have tried to find the answer to my problem among other forum posts and in the Bulk Loader and Astra documentation, but have been unsuccessful. So, I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else.

I am trying to practice loading a CSV file to Astra using Bulk Loader on my Windows laptop. I am using the following command under my \dsbulk-1.8-0\bin directory:

\dsbulk-1.8.0\bin>dsbulk load -url test.csv -k mykeyspace -t mytable \
 -b "secure-bundle-path.zip" -u user -p password -header true

The operation appears to start and I see the following:

Username and password provided but auth provider not specified, inferring PlainTextAuthProvider
A cloud secure connect bundle was provided: ignoring all explicit contact points.
A cloud secure connect bundle was provided and selected operation performs writes: changing default consistency level to LOCAL_QUORUM.
Operation directory: C:\Users\JT\Desktop\dsbulk-1.8.0\bin\logs\LOAD_20210406-172216-572000

However, the output stops there.

I understand that with a free Astra account, the load time may be slower, but I have let it run for 30 minutes or more, and have tried several times, with no success. It never produces the expected output showing rows being processed.

I do not believe it is my password or authentication as that error appears immediately if I have entered my user/password incorrectly in the command (side note: my user and password work, but my App token is always rejected for some reason - my authentication configuration I'm guessing?)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what may be happening?

I have the latest JDK installed and have set up both the JAVA_HOME and Path variable.

Do I need to do anything else with my environment variables, like adding Bulk Loader to my Path variable?

Are there any minimum hardware requirements for Bulk Loader that I may not be meeting with my basic laptop?

Thanks so much for any ideas or help!

astradsbulk
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

You didn't provide any errors in your post so it's hard for us to determine the problem.

However, I suspect it's because you're using the wrong credentials. Instead of username and password, you should be using the client ID + secret.

I've responded to a similar issue yesterday where I provided a full working example for loading data to Astra using DSBulk. The command should be:

$ dsbulk load -url /path/to/input.csv -header true -k ks_name -t table_name -b "/path/to/secure-connect-db.zip" -u client_id -p client_secret

For full details of the working example, see question #10901. Cheers!

6 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Hi Erick,

Thanks!

I have actually already consulted your wonderfully detailed response to question #10901.

I receive no error message when using my regular user/password. The operation just simply stops and doesn't continue with output past:

Username and password provided but auth provider not specified, inferring PlainTextAuthProvider
A cloud secure connect bundle was provided: ignoring all explicit contact points.
A cloud secure connect bundle was provided and selected operation performs writes: changing default consistency level to LOCAL_QUORUM.
Operation directory: C:\Users\JT\Desktop\dsbulk-1.8.0\bin\logs\LOAD_20210407-005122-037000

When I have tried to use my App Token credentials, I receive an error message that I have attached here as a screenshot.

Do I need to change any authentication configuration for my Astra instance in order for my token to work?

Thanks again!

Error Message Screenshot.png

0 Likes 0 ·

It sounds like you have a "classic DB" instance. As I stated in #10901, IAM was implemented recently in Astra (early March) so if you created your DB before that time then you have a classic instance.

Have you checked the DSBulk logs for clues as to where it's possibly stuck?

0 Likes 0 ·
jtdelato avatar image jtdelato Erick Ramirez ♦♦ ·

Thanks!

I definitely have a classic DB.

My logs only show the same output that was displayed in my console, with the addition of two lines from when I manually terminated the operation 30 minutes later.

I have attached a screenshot of my log file.

If it means anything, I am having the exact same issue if I try to run a Count operation with DSBulk.

Thanks so much for all your help!DSBulk Log Screenshot.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments