Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

deandyno_83315 avatar image
deandyno_83315 asked ·

Does Medusa support older clusters like Cassandra 1.2.19?

I saw where there was a reference in a TLP blog that it supports versions after 2.1.0.

https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/11/05/cassandra-medusa-backup-tool-is-open-source.html

A team has an old cluster and have asked me to help out in migrating to a new set of servers (OS End of Life) so just wondering if I will encounter any problems...

medusa
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

It is possible that it could work. After all, Medusa just makes the same JMX calls that nodetool snapshot does.

However, it isn't a tested configuration. You can perform tests yourself but it might be a waste of time because you need to test that both backups and restores work successfully.

You might be better off taking snapshots manually. Otherwise, I can refer you to consulting engineers who will be happy to assist you with the migration. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks Erick, that was what I was thinking, it just wraps around existing nodetool commands, so it should be fine. Will see if we can move forward with this as an option.

~Dean

0 Likes 0 ·

I've got confirmation that only Cassandra 2.2 and newer is supported. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·