Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

deandyno_83315 avatar image
deandyno_83315 asked Erick Ramirez commented

Does Medusa support older clusters like Cassandra 1.2.19?

I saw where there was a reference in a TLP blog that it supports versions after 2.1.0.

https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2019/11/05/cassandra-medusa-backup-tool-is-open-source.html

A team has an old cluster and have asked me to help out in migrating to a new set of servers (OS End of Life) so just wondering if I will encounter any problems...

medusa
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

It is possible that it could work. After all, Medusa just makes the same JMX calls that nodetool snapshot does.

However, it isn't a tested configuration. You can perform tests yourself but it might be a waste of time because you need to test that both backups and restores work successfully.

You might be better off taking snapshots manually. Otherwise, I can refer you to consulting engineers who will be happy to assist you with the migration. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks Erick, that was what I was thinking, it just wraps around existing nodetool commands, so it should be fine. Will see if we can move forward with this as an option.

~Dean

0 Likes 0 ·

I've got confirmation that only Cassandra 2.2 and newer is supported. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·