Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

ritu.kumari1_180415 avatar image
ritu.kumari1_180415 asked ·

How can I find out the total compaction time taken for a table on each node?

Hi Folks,

I am trying to find out total time taken for compaction for a table on each node. Nodetool compaction history doesn't give exact time reference. Is there any way to look into. I have tried nodetool compaction history and opscenter. Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Best Regards

Ritu

compaction
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Compactions don't run for the whole table -- each compaction thread/task runs over a set of candidate SSTable files.

If you look at the logs, you will see entries for CompactionExecutor threads. It will specify the SSTables being compacted together and you can work out how long it took for the compaction thread to complete.

You cannot however determine the total for the whole table -- There is no such metric.

Compactions run as part of the normal operation of Cassandra nodes -- compaction tasks continually run whenever compactions are triggered by the compaction strategy. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.