Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

riehmulus avatar image
riehmulus asked ·

Does anyone have experience with VSAN, Nutanix or Solidfire for Cassandra?

We are evaluating Cassandra and curious if anyone has experience using vsan vs. nutanix vs solidfire

nutanixstoragebackendvsan
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@riehmc_178777 DataStax has partnered with VMware to test and determine the best configuration for running DataStax Enterprise on VMware vSAN 6.7 based on the high level of interest and demand from our customers. vSAN version 6.7 is required to enable the "host affinity" policy on all the VM disks.

I've personally heard anecdotal evidence from different users who have tried Nutanix but hasn't had consistent results with it at scale due to the shared storage not being able to meet the high IO demands.

I know of a couple of customers who have done some testing on SolidFire but their tests were small (3-5 nodes) and were seeing some good results on low throughput. I can't comment on how it would stand up with larger clusters and higher throughputs. In my personal experience, shared storage is problematic as more workloads get added and various apps/databases/technologies start competing with each other for IO. Your miles may vary so test with production-like workloads. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.