Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

jordanp98 avatar image
jordanp98 asked Erick Ramirez commented

Is it ok to clean OS cache memory on a DSE Search node?

Post running spark jobs os cache memory of cassandra server increases heavily and not getting reduced automatically when i checked i found that buffer/cache is using 10 GB memory i have clean up same using ubuntu drop cache method. ( sync; sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches;sync";sudo sh -c "echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches;sync";sudo sh -c "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"/ ).

is it okay to clean up os cache on cassandra node ?

Not cleaning this causes outofmemory issue after few days , but cache cleanup working as workaround for this.

Could you please guide about best practices about the same.

dsesearch
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

Dropping the OS cache is a temporary fix and you need to investigate further to see if there's an underlying problem in your environment.

I suggest logging a ticket with DataStax Support so one of our engineers can have a look. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Not a problem. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·