Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

jtdelato avatar image
jtdelato asked ·

What is the recommended minimum hardware for building a practice cluster on a laptop?

Please excuse any misused terminology or misunderstandings as I am new to programming and development in general.

I am taking Developer path courses in Academy and would like to create my own practice Cassandra cluster on my laptop to get an idea of what a typical work environment might be like.

I am curious what would be recommended hardware requirements?

I plan to use IntelliJ with Maven to manage the DataStax Java Driver as my development environment. I hope to use DataStax Enterprise and I plan to create a small database that will likely have 12 or so tables each containing about 1000 - 2000 rows, with at most about 500 rows per partition. I would like to have enough nodes (at least 2) to practice with replicas and adding/removing nodes. So, I don't expect to have any heavy loads or anything, just want some practice to prepare for what I might experience in an actual workplace.

My current laptop has a 2.1 GHz AMD processor, 8 GB RAM (with about 6 GB usable), and 64-bit OS Windows 10.

I understand I could use Astra if my machine is not powerful enough, but was hoping to get some experience with a typical IDE and DataStax Enterprise.

If my machine is simply not powerful enough, would anyone have any recommendations for how I might try to replicate a typical work environment? Would Astra be my next best option for practice?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help anyone can give! As a newbie, I really appreciate any advice.

dse
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

DataStax Enterprise isn't supported on Windows so you won't be able to install it on your laptop.

DataStax Desktop is an application that allows you to deploy DSE on a Windows platform using Docker under the hood. However, you need at least 16GB of RAM for it to work.

It is also possible to deploy DSE on a Kubernetes cluster using the DataStax Cassandra Operator (cass-operator) but again, you need 16GB of RAM.

Given your limited specs, your best option is to develop against DataStax Astra. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thank you Erick! I thought that might be the case. Thank you for your advice!

0 Likes 0 ·

Happy to help. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·